{{ notfound }}

What travel documents do I need to board a Royal Caribbean cruise ship (U.S. Citizens)?


For US Sailings

U.S. Citizens may sail using their:

  • Official Birth Certificate and a supporting Government Issued Photo ID, like a driver’s license or an identity card. Please note that hospital Birth Certificates (baby feet Birth Certificates) are not accepted.


  • U.S. Passport book that is valid at least 6 months after your cruise. 
    • Lastly, below are details if you need additional information about your passport.
      • Visit the United Sates Department of State travel information website.
      • Visa Central is the passport and visa service provider that we recommend. When you contact Visa Central, reference our account 44988 for reduced service fees. Contact Visa Central:

Puerto Rican citizens should review their birth certificates and ensure they are up to date. Puerto Rican birth certificates issued prior to July 1, 2010 are not valid forms of proof of citizenship.  The Government of Puerto Rico has partnered with document provider VitalChek to provide an expedited method for ordering new birth certificates. To apply through this method please visit:  www.vitalchek.com. Vital Check also offers a bilingual call center available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Processing and shipping fees apply. To apply through this method please call: (866) 842-6765.

United States Permanent Residents must have a United States Permanent Resident Card and a passport from your home country is strongly recommended. Click here for additional information.

For International Sailings- US Citizens require a passport book with a minimum of 6 months validity post the return of your sailing and the corresponding visa required for entry and exit from the country.

It is important that the name on your reservation be exactly as it is stated on your passport or other official proof of nationality. If your name has changed since your document was issued (e.g., marriage or divorce), it is required that you update the document with the new name or provide an official supporting document (e.g., a state, county or province issued marriage license, divorce decree or legal name change document) of the name change. All documents must be the original or a notarized copy. Additionally, if you are using an identification (e.g., driver's license) and a citizenship document ( e.g., birth certificate), then BOTH documents must match the name on your reservation. Otherwise, it may result in delay or possible denial of boarding.

No refunds will be given to individuals who fail to bring proper documentation.

Still need help? Contact us

Get support by phone or email

My Personas