What is the transportation situation in San Juan, Puerto Rico — is it easy to get around?
You have plenty of options when it comes to transportation within the city.
- By Taxi: Finding a taxi is easy. They’re often found outside the main exits of tourist attractions, the front doors of hotels and at the cruise ship pier. Trips around San Juan are metered fares, except within areas designated as “tourist zones”, where the rates are fixed and posted.
- Uber: Uber does operate in San Juan, including for pickups at the airport. Wait times are generally short, usually less than 10 minutes.
- By Car: Car rentals are available around the city and at the airport.
- By Bike: Many cycling lanes are placed along scenic routes with access to beaches and main attractions.
- By Foot: The tourist areas of Condado, Ocean Park and Old San Juan are all great walking zones with plenty to see and do within close proximity. For example, in Old San Juan you could visit the centuries-old Fort San Cristobal, quaint shops, restaurants and bars, all within a few blocks.
- By Bus: Public transportation is available throughout the San Juan metro area. The Department of Transportation and Public Works (DTOP) has designed a network of 30 bus routes throughout the whole metro area.